Thursday, February 25, 2010

Face It, Dora

This weekend would have been fantastic no matter what we did because the weather was so perfect. By Sunday it had reached 63--almost Caribbean-like compared to the recent snows. Friday, like most Fridays, I worked and missed four invitations of fun TGIF activities.  My husband and daughter went to one of them: a bonfire dinner featuring smoked pulled pork and all the Southern fixings you imagine go along with that. My husband said the food was yummy and no kids fell into the fire, which is always good. I was a bit disturbed I had to miss the fun, but I have to pay for my Madrid trip in three weeks so that keeps me focused. I also worked a five hour shift on Saturday, but was able to squeeze in some pre-Madrid shopping beforehand picking up a cute dress and new skinny jeans. Since I try to center this blog around food I will mention I had apple yogurt for breakfast, along with a handful of raw almonds and  a fig breakfast bar. The combo of proteins kept me full for many hours. Lunch was at work in the break room and consisted of a TJ’s sushi pack. It was terrible so I gave it away and ate an apple instead, which did NOT keep me full for many hours. After work my husband and I met up with our usual suspects (friends) and headed downtown to a local favorite watering hole. It’s a three-story historic brick building which features a café and fresh pastries by morning, organic goodies for lunch, and a full dinner menu and bar by night. Downstairs is called the “Busy Bee” and the third-floor terrace and bar is called “The Hive”, so all menu items and drinks are named with this theme. Two of my drinks were called the “Stinger” and “Queen Bee”. You get the point. The ten of us shared appetizers and meals such as fish tacos, mac n cheese, fried green tomatoes, fries, and calamari. Early the next morning I threw on my new jeans, a scarf, a SHORT-SLEEVED tee, big sunglasses and we headed back downtown to meet my parents for breakfast at a Cuban joint called Oakwood café. My parents apparently didn’t get the memo and never showed up so later we drove an hour away to their house. Mom made coffee and banana bread and we talked until we realized we should be outside enjoying the warm weather! So we all jumped in dad’s car and rode out in the country to the local roadside ice cream stand.  Closed until March. Well he just lost out on our business! Instead we drove over to the park and soaked up some sun by the lake as our daughter played on the equipment. As if the gods of ice cream had heard our prayers, an ice cream truck rolled through with its familiar out-of-tune song. First in line, she got a chocolate Dora the Explorer face with gumball eyes, which quickly got popped out and chewed. This is what spring is all about. Hungry yet again, we drove back into town and ate Mexican for a late lunch. I had pescado a la plancha, grilled fish over frijoles negros, avocado, and chunky salsa. Eating with family is always one of my favorite pastimes and this whole weekend was a memorable one. By the way, today is rainy and cold and by Wednesday they are predicting more snow. That’s what spring is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG BANK