Monday, November 15, 2010

BAT-GIRL

Sitti restaurant downtown
Right now my daughter and husband are at the “Comic Con”, a convention for nerds. I just got a picture text of my baby wearing a Bat-Man mask, sheesh! Meanwhile I went to a grown-up restaurant for lunch, Sitti, a Lebanese place downtown complete with real hookahs (though for decoration). We were a group of nine, but seated at a long wooden table meant for 30. I started off with a glass of red Harlow Ridge and ordered the salmon over rice. The meal was ok, but the portion too small for what I paid. I’ll opt for the grilled veggie & hummus dish next time. Friday night I went to an Italian Shower, a baby shower with an Italian theme complete with lots of noodles, sauce, cheeses, wine for the non-preggers, and homemade tiramisu. Kaitlyn brought the wine and I picked up some cannoli for everyone at Soho Bakery. We ate until we bust our jean zippers and  did the whole presents thing. Um, no, it did not make me want another baby. The one I had has kept me plenty busy & content over the past decade. The next evening was a double hitter: A cookout at the Brunskill’s house, then later a bonfire at Hayes & Nicole’s field across from their house. We had a small group of friends, maybe 12 total, join in for whiskey, chips, and stories of black wolves and snakes local to the woods in our area. Jason’s wife was out of town so he gave himself permission to stay until 3am, but we headed home (a whole 2 minute drive) about midnight. We were awakened about five hours later by gunshots. Deer season is again in session and since we live out of city limits and not in a subdivision, random shooting and moonshine is just next door. Although we are just 20  minutes from downtown metropolis, we pass swamps and fish ponds and buzzard nests and bear caves and chicken coops and clothes lines and hay bales and cattle ranches to get to our suburb. The land is hilly here and it rolls and turns ever so gracefully. Now in your mind’s eye add the seemingly hand-painted colors of fall leaves and a little pale yellow cottage on an acre- that’s our house. Hayes and Nicole live in walking distance to us, down a dirt road and in a log cabin. I love shopping and eating downtown, but I want to raise my family in the country (not even necessarily in this one though, but I‘ll take what I can get). Fresh air and a clear view of stars at night should be part of everyone’s childhood memories. I’m glad it is for my little Bat-Girl. City life has it’s pros; I had a blast when I visited NYC, Madrid, Chicago, Berlin, and Amsterdam. But I don’t want to live there. Give me black wolves, snakes, moonshine and gunshots and I just might sing you a Taylor Swift song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG BANK