Monday, February 7, 2011

RAIN, RAIN

All the crazy snow storms across much of the US has been rain for us here down South. I’m not complaining-- I’d much rather have to use my umbrella than a pair of ice-skates to get around town. But this past Saturday was just a wash-out the entire day and previous evening. My husband and I sat on the couch with our dull, sleepy faces and hot coffee having that “I don’t know, what do you want to do” conversation while our ten year old bounded off the walls shouting “How about the ZOO!?”. After a nice hot breakfast of scrambled eggs and chorizo we braved the cold rains. “Zoo” was not typed into the gps. We ended up at Old Navy and some other shops picking up items here and there for our trip out West. We even got our tent, which I may attempt to set up in the living room today for a test run. It’s been years since I have gone camping, so I thought it wise to print out a camping list so I don’t forget the priorities. The list is four pages long. “Really?!” After reading aloud over items such as pots & pans, welcome mat, bucket, and rake I wondered what’s the point of ever leaving home. At least people with RV’s can stash all that crap in closets and cabinets, but a person like me will have nowhere to stash it except…hey, wait a minute… How am I going to get even a fraction of all this junk on an airplane without being charged $5,765 for the extra weight? Then add to that the fines we will incur due to my husband insisting we will need to pack hunting knives and mace. According to him the knives are for cutting rowdy tumble weeds (I don’t even know what that means) and the mace is for any bears we may encounter. I’m not sure there is such thing as a desert bear, but spraying it with mace will probably just piss him off and make him eat me with more fervor. And I’m sure the desert hyenas would just laugh at the fact my husband bought me the mace enclosed in the breast-cancer pink case. (He found that gem at a military store) Hey, I may be spraying the eyeballs off of Grand Canyon wildlife but at least I’m also making a statement. After picking up a few more trip items, including a travel pillow, headlamp, and a Frisbee (just going by the list) we headed over to our friend’s house in Morrisville to go bother them. They were indeed in the middle of a big home project but we made ourselves right at home like always with turkey sandwiches and a cozy spot by the fire watching retro TV. Did you know there was The Bill Cosby Show before there was The Cosby Show? It was lame but entirely worth watching to make fun of it. And who knew Bill Cosby’s career began at an age younger than I am now?? The things you learn on rainy days.

1 comment:

  1. lol. thanks for the shout out. e got our projet done on tuesday instead. I love your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG BANK