Thursday, July 14, 2011

DAY TWO IN MISAHAULLI (MONKEY-TOWN)

Everyone is so friendly here. Just walking into town the neighbor near my hostel invited me inside ¨just to chat¨ as I passed by. She was about 90 years old and lived with her paralyzed sister-in-law. I sat in her welcoming but sparse kitchen as she served me sweet rice pudding. I pretended to eat it but in my heart I felt like I was Gretel at the gingerbread house. She didn´t exactly turn into a witch, but she did ask me to donate some money to help pay for her sister-in-law´s adult diapers. I explained that I don´t carry cash on me but she simply stated how easy it would be for me to take some cash out of the ATM for her. Time to go, I said. She hobbled on one leg that was shorter than the other and asked if I wanted to at least finish my rice pudding. Sorry, no.
        Another friendly man saw me looking for a place to eat lunch and made a suggestion. Then he let me hold his parrot for free. Families on the beach let me hang out with them as we all watched the monkeys play together. A man sold coconut drinks from his cart and there was a long line of customers all under the age of 13. The sly monkeys would secretly wait in the high limbs until the unsuspecting kids walked a bit, drink in hand, then would jump the kids, slapping the cups from their hands and quickly drinking the escaping liquid before anyone knew what had even happened. It was funny enough for me to watch it over and over for about three hours. I sat on a large piece of driftwood and reviewed the pictures I had taken thusfar on my trip. About ten minutes later I realized a small monkey had been sitting on the log with me and was looking at my pictures too. I looked at him. He looked at me. Within that two seconds of mutual mystery, the monkey had decided he wanted my sunglasses and reached up to steal them. I beat him down like I wasn´t afraid of no flea-ridden tree rat and he ran away.
           The rest of the afternoon I spent in a hammock back at the hostel reading my Kindle. The bartender, who claims he is really 21 although he looks 14, came over and asked if I´d like a glass of wine or anything. Sure. We ended up talking for a good hour or so and he has invited me to go hiking and swimming at a nearby waterfall with him and his family tomorrow. When I tell him I´d think about it, he adds ¨For just a small tip, like $3, if you´d like to give it to me.¨ His name is Darwin.
        Tonight more guests are coming to France Amazonia. Darwin tells me he will make a big bonfire tonight at eight. I tell him I´m looking forward to it, as well as our hike tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG BANK