Monday, May 21, 2012

TIME TO WASTE

It was 6am on a Monday- the day we like to sleep in after getting up so early on the weekends. We were awakened out of half-sleep every ten seconds by "SLAM!... WHACK!...SLAM!...SCRUB, SCRUB." Our landlord was right beneath our open window washing clothes by hand despite the fact she has a real washing machine. She whacked each item against the cement slab, to get extra water out I presume. Each whack was deafening against the tranquility of our slumber. Joe and I wanted to whack her a couple of times. By the time she was done, the chicken clatter outside was too loud to get back to sleep anyway. Joe and I kept peeking our eyes at each other angrily under the sheets. It's not a dream. We still live here in Tena, Ecuador and there's no escaping it. 


By 8am, the phone was ringing. It was a friend who couldn't get her speakers to work on Skype. She offered Joe and I coffee and cake in exchange for fixing it. It was an offer too good to refuse, so we went over to her house after eating cold left-over quiche from the afternoon before. And the day before that. Now that I've learned how to make my own crust, there's no shortage of quiches at my house since the rest of the ingredients are super cheap. We also made coffee to fully wake us up from the "WHACK!" alarm-clock. We only had enough milk for one cup of coffee, so Joe and I looked angrily at each other again. I added water to the milk and boiled it in the small kettle. When it was hot enough I added some powdered milk I keep on hand for emergencies such as these. Now we had enough milk mixture for two cups of coffee. It was good, but a little lumpy at the bottom. 


After fixing our friend's computer we headed home. Joe had a Bible study to prepare for and I was going to blog. Carlie had planned to watch a movie. After all, Mondays are good for napping and wasting time. But after chatting with my friend/neighbor for a bit on Skype I thought I'd take her over some aspirin for her son who was home sick. That ended up being a nice trade too, because in return she made us sandwiches for lunch. 


After getting back from her house I thought maybe I could find a little time to waste. After all, it was humid and sticky outside and I was getting sleepy. A nice game of Angry Birds on my phone would be perfect. But upon arrival, Joe was hungry and insisted I figure out a meal plan. He was wanting something with noodles, but that would entail me walking 15 minutes in the heat and drizzling rain to the local market, the thought of which repulsed me. 
"What about quiche?"
"No."
So since we had rice, (also good to have on hand for emergencies and picky eaters), I mixed it with a chopped veggie mix that I sauteed and two cans of tuna. Angry Birds would have to wait. Everyone devoured it and was working on seconds when I sat down to relax. But then Joe reminded me it was Monday, the night we play soccer with friends at a rented field. We changed into our League shirts, walked down the street to pick up Joe's Bible study kids, and then walked 15 minutes to the field. Usually we have a big group, but tonight no one ever showed up. It was just us. Joe and I kicked the ball around a bit with the kids, but it wasn't much fun for me. I have a muscle injury in my left thigh which prevents me from running or kicking or having any fun regarding soccer or running away from zombies that might chase me. So if my goal was to waste time today, I accomplished it at the soccer field.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG BANK