Monday, October 8, 2012

WHAT'S FOR DINNER?

No one ever said Tena, Ecuador was the culinary capital of the world. It's not even the culinary capital of Ecuador. Basically, if you live in Tena like I do, eating is strictly for survival.

 Long gone are the days where I linger over Sunday french-toast brunch at my favorite downtown restaurant in the States. Popping over to Whole Foods for a midday salad and protein shake is a thing of the past. Even something as simple as the hot apple pie from McDonald's is just a pie-pe dream. The closest McDonald's to me is five hours away by death-bus and their menu differs from the American version anyway.

So here in Tena, just like around the world, us families ask the age-old question "What's for dinner?" Here's how it usually goes for us: If I have food in the fridge I don't mind cooking. But keep in mind this is Tena. I don't have pre-cut, pre-washed, pre-pared, pre- anything. So my fridge, if I have food , usually looks like some kind of rabbit patch with all kinds of fruits and veggies. If I have the energy to wash, chop, and create, I may make soup or chicken and rice with a salad. If I don't have food in the fridge, I still have to do all the above PLUS  walk in 100 degree heat or pouring rain to the Super Tia (our local grocery store) and carry back all the bags. And as far as variety or international options at the grocery store? Picture your local Circle K.

So above, I've outlined what we usually do for meals here when we cook. But what do we do when the thought of cooking sounds about as fun as stepping in dog poop? We go out to eat, of course! Here's just a couple of our couple of options that I actually feel safe eating:
 Papa's a la Bruto. calle 15 de Noviembre, ($)- Serves up hot burgers, fries, milkshakes, and chicken sandwiches. Lately, the restaurant (more like a burger stall than a restaurant) hasn't been getting as much business, so they've cut down on menu options. Want a chicken sandwich? Yeah right. Want a cold beer? Forget about it.  If you want to people-watch while you eat a cheap burger that won't leave you in the emergency room after drowning in grease, this is the place to be.

Iguana. barrio Bella Vista Bajo. ($+)- Want food? Keep dreaming. Closed for remodeling until no further notice. When it was open, it was by far the coolest place in Tena for burgers, hot wings, chicken sandwiches and ice-cold Pilsener. The best part is that tourists have no idea about this gem. One word of advice: want nachos, the fourth item down on the menu? That was just a joke.

Lucy's. calle 12 de Febrero ($)- Want reheated left-overs from lunch? Come have Lucy serve you up some chicken and rice. Or pork-chop and rice. Or beef and rice. Sometimes her food is really good and hearty. Sometimes it's not. Either way, the restaurant is spotless.

The Pizzaria on the malecon ($$)- Below-average pizza by Papa John's standards served in a restaurant full of tourists, this is the best we got. When it's either burgers or typical chicken and rice, pizza is always a treasured option. My faves are the hawaiian and the tres colores. Popcorn and salsa are served as a free appetizer.

Cositas Ricas. calle 15 de Noviembre ($$)- A new higher-priced option here in Tena with cloth napkins and covered tables that I've only tried once. I recommend the chicken sandwich and fries. Portions are enough for two. Varied menu, meaning more than chicken or burgers on offer. Although the atmosphere is stuffy and has no view, the food gets high marks from our family and other friends who've tried it.

Although there are a few other dining options here in Tena, they are either not in my budget (Such as El Marquis or Chuquitos on the river) or I dare not eat there and risk getting trichinosis. I will highly recommend a local cevicheria (seafood joint) if you ask me, but we don't really eat there due to Joe being allergic to shrimp.

So there you have it, folks. Its what's for dinner. Burgers, pizza or chicken, your pick. If this was a blog entry about karoke bar options, it would be two more pages long.

1 comment:

  1. Last night for dinner we had "clean the fridge stir fry" - wilted bok choy, a bit of left over red pepper, mushrooms, and some questionable looking turnips that I purchased by accident.

    The "loney planet" and "frommers" website should start reading your blog. They somehow missed these culinary gems.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG BANK