Tuesday, February 2, 2010

About Me


 

  


 


First of all I’m typing this as well as trying to watch a Ken Burns film so that should give you a hint as to what kind of girl I am. I love history. Most couples perhaps spend their tenth anniversary on a cruise around the Bahamas or some other beach that makes me yawn. My husband and I were touring around Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin with our German friends. We conversed about our itinerary over spaghetti dinner in the flat we rented near the Sony Center.  In Amsterdam my first stop was the Anne Frank house, not the Red Light district. I also love food as much as travel and history. Well, probably more. In each country or city I have visited, I can remember a specific meal I enjoyed there: Indonesian platters in Utrecht. Apple pie with clotted cream at Sally Lunn’s in Bath. Ceviche in Sosua. Clam chowder in a sour dough bowl in Monterey. A donner in Hamburg. And hopefully I can add paella and tapas in Madrid soon. I love to eat, cook, and dream about food. No, I'm not fat. I collectively have worked at either a grocery store or restaurant for about 6 years just to surround myself with food. My husband has worked at a restaurant supply warehouse for most of our marriage which keeps me outfitted with the latest kitchen goodies. I am blessed with a kid who can name almost any vegetable in two or three languages and eats them like most kids eat candy. Most people are on here blogging about Brangelina or their favorite TV show. I’m blogging my favorite recipes and the stories that encircle them. I’m half Italian. I can’t help this. Red wine flows through me in place of blood, an artichoke heart pumps it. If it’s from a franchise I won’t eat it. If that makes me a stuck-up foodie, guilty. I could go on and on about how I love good food, but that’s what the blog is for, so I’ll save my gushing. This is not “Julia and Julia”.  I write this blog for me and anyone who happens to stumble upon it or purposely is drawn to it by similar interests. I’m not online looking for followers, people to post comments, “friends”, or tweeters. You, the individual reading this, realizes I am out shopping the farmer’s markets,  borrowing cookbooks from neighbors, planting or harvesting something fresh in my garden, having wine and cheese parties with dear friends, reading up on how to build a chicken coop, or watching Rick Steves on PBS for hints on my next excursion. I’m not here online to hang out. My snack for watching Ken Burn’s: Trader Joe’s all-natural peanut butter pretzels and a glass of cold water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG BANK