Thursday, February 4, 2010

Deer Friend


This morning I had the left-over quiche for breakfast as I hurried off to work. Although tasty, it wasn’t what my stomach really wanted so early in the morning. This is what I usually have for a quick breakfast: mix four parts plain European-style yogurt, one part canned organic pumpkin puree, and agave to sweeten. Just a side note so I don’t have to type it each time: I buy all my food organic when possible. My reasons for this are health, taste, environmental, and simply to support local farmers. To support your own garden Google info on buying organic seeds from Fedco. Lunch was steamed veggies over brown rice, which I had to choke down on my 15 minute break. Boy was work busy today! Then when my shift was over I had to fight rush-hour traffic over to my friend Karen’s house to pick up my daughter. She got to play with her two best friends today and mommy got to sell (and lift) 100 cases of Charles Shaw. When I finally arrived home there was a deer in my yard. It looked just like Bambi in his teenage years. My daughter and I didn’t get too excited. Deer in our yard is as common as cats in alleys. But then it started to come closer. ..and closer... and closer! Within a minute or so I was petting Bambi on the nose! I know it sounds like I am making this up, but I am not. Bambi then walked over and said hello to my daughter. The whole world seemed to stop and even my neighbors stopped their cars or came out of their house to see this rare occurrence. It’s truly something I’ll remember for a very long time to come. Yes, I may have rabies, but at least I can still cook and blog… for now. Tonight was a simple meal because no one was too hungry. We had roasted cauliflower and pan-fried cod. Easy to make: chop a head of fresh cauliflower into bite-size bits and put into a shallow baking dish. Squeeze a whole lemon on top, then drizzle with Sicilian olive oil and sea salt. Stir it up until each piece is coated. Bake 45 minutes on 350. Throw your pieces of rinsed cod (or whatever fish you like to fry) into a gallon size zip-lock bag filled with bread crumbs, Trader Joe’s 21 Season Salute, and some sea salt. Dance like you have ants in your pants until the fish is well coated. Have your fry pan hot and ready with like maybe 1/3 c. of canola oil. (I never measure anything) Cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG BANK