Monday, February 8, 2010

Falling Stars


Lately I have been having these transcendent moments of pure, free joy. One such moment happened on the way to something not always so joyous-- filing taxes. The office is about a 45 minute drive from my house on winding roads through hemlock and pine forest. It seemed I was the only driver in the world as I zoomed further and further out into remoteness. I passed cute bungalows with chimneys smoking and million-dollar homes on horse farms. I passed a jogger running to nowhere and a hiker with his son walking home. I came to a clearing with a golf course, a secret fishing hole, a decaying barn, and huge limestone crags that probably capped underground caves. I was blasting Mozart on the radio and thoroughly enjoying the ride, when all of a sudden it began to snow. Each flake was huge and wispy and fell diagonally from the sky like a million white stars. They landed in the dense woods joining the other patches of snow that were still clinging to the forest floor from last week’s big snow. The snow lasted all morning. One enormous  flake hit my windshield and I swear I could see each crystalline design right there in front of me. Just wanted to share that moment with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG BANK